Monday, January 25, 2010

Elder Watson Expounds on MTC Devotionals

Hey Mom and Dad! (And Everybody!)

It's really good to hear from you guys. It means you aren't drowning! 'Cause that'd be REALLY bad! Thanks for the package! Packages are always great! As well as mail! :)

Just so you know, there are a few people you might run into that are connected to people in my zone here. Elder Hastings is in the Ventura Mission, and he is a cousin of Hermana Stout, who is in my zone. She and her companion, Hermana Dansie (sounds like Densie) are going to the LA mission where it is half proselytizing and half visitor’s center. Also, I think there might be an Elder Davis whose cousin is in my district. Or something like that. It's kinda funny to see how everyone is virtually connected to everyone else. The "six degrees of separation" is cut down to two or three! Hahaha. :D

So how much has it rained? Comparable to '04? I actually miss the rain, which is better than snow and ice, but once I get to Paraguay, I DEFINITELY won't miss the rain!

I'm glad to know that stake conference went really well! I'm sure you were happy to sit together in church! :)

Since I don't know what to say next, I guess I'll talk about the devotionals we've been having.

Elder L. Tom Perry of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles spoke to us on the 12th about being diligent, faithful, and having a strong testimony of the restored Gospel.

Last Tuesday's was given by Elder David F Evans of the Quorum of the 70. He spoke about using the Book of Mormon more in proselytizing and about Christ like attributes found in the Book of Mormon. He used a quote about Christ like attributes from President Ezra Taft Benson, but I wasn't able to get all of it. In addition to the ones found in "Preach My Gospel," I was able to write down 12 out of the 33 he mentioned. "Alive, Constant, Creator, Exemplar, Generous, Good, Gracious, Healer, Holy, Humble... Liberator... Mighty, Miraculous...." Hopefully I can find the quote while I am here.

Last night's devotional was given by Stephen B Allen, who is the Managing Director of the Missionary Department. He talked about how each mission call is extended by revelation, that each missionary has been called as a personal representative of Jesus Christ, and asked us a poignant question. "What price are we willing to pay to become Saviors on Mount Zion?" What he meant by "Saviors on Mount Zion" is that the Lord can act through us, and our actions, in order to help bring people unto Him. As a missionary, it is a very important question to consider, but I thought of a way it could be rephrased. "What price are we willing to pay to be able to return to live with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ? Also, what price would we be willing to pay to help others to do the same?" In other words, what are we willing to give up in order to have the opportunity to accept the Gospel and live the commandments of God faithfully, and worthily complete each ordinance that is necessary for salvation? In 2 Nephi chapter 31, verse 19 & 20, Nephi the prophet tells us of 5 things we need to do in order to gain Eternal, or God's, Life. I don't have my scriptures with me, so the wording might be a little off. The first thing he talks about is faith in the Lord Jesus Christ (and his Atonement.) Second, we need to repent and change our hearts to be more like Jesus Christ. Third, we need to be baptized, by immersion and by one who has the proper authority and power, for the remission of our sins. Fourth, we need to receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost so that we can be guided, given that we are trying to live righteously and to the best of our ability, throughout our lives in choosing right from wrong. Lastly, we need to endure to the end in righteousness. I just realized that sounds a lot like the fourth Article of Faith. An interesting thing - in Spanish, 'Endure to the end' is translated as 'presevarar hasta el fin' (Spanish 'Preach my Gospel', p. 1). Translated directly, it means persevere to, or unto, the end. So it's not just enduring, but persevering in doing what's right. Just an interesting translation, I thought.

Well, I am really out of time. I hope everything continues to go well with everyone! God bless and take care of yourselves!!

Sincerely,

Elder David Watson

No comments:

Post a Comment